As someone who gets more enthusiastic about New Year’s Eve than Christmas Eve and appreciates the scent of nostalgia swaying in the air during the last days of December, I thought I should note down the highlights and rock bottoms of 2016 in a little recap and take the chance to throw in a little editorial I’d like to title »Design Mafia«. Ladies’n Gentlemen: For me, 2016 has been the year…
- …I’ve discovered vast sums of music and bands reminding me of how passionately I used to listen to and interpret songs.
- …of death, undeniably. Both, from public and personal points of view. Just take David Bowie, Prince, Alan Rickman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, George Micheal and most lately Carrie Fisher as some significant examples.
- …of short trips. I’ve been able to see a handful of nice spots on this planet, all of them linked to unforgettable experiences and damn good times, while traveling alone or without my parents quite a lot. For example, two friends of mine and I stayed in Paris on our own a few days and figured out our entire sightseeing program, which was pretty rich to be honest, on the train ride before.
- …I’ve boarded a plane and took a flight to Taipei, all by myself for the first time, in order to visit my internet friend slash Brain Buddy Winnie.
- …of realisations. Realisations like the one of me probably not being that bad at conversations, other than I’ve always thought. Along with the realisation that I could be worse at sewing, there were a couple more positive things I perceived, in spite of my graduation nearing and the deadline, set for the end of 2017, concerning my portfolio and fashion school applications being constantly breathing down my neck.
- …of taking a step towards optimising my creative process (I’ll let the question, whether one’s creative process should be optimised open to argument, at this point), even though I felt a bit lazy not working on a big project like I did in the past two years, with my collection in 2014 and the array of Drama Club costumes in 2015. I feel like I’m finally confident about my work.
- …I’ve developed into a true tea drinker. Matcha tea, Green tea, Oolong tea, Licorice tea. Gimme all of them!
- …I’ve reached 2k followers on Instagram (@LaryRauh) and though it’s only a number, it’s always nice to have your work appreciated by a wider range of people, so thank you very much for that!
- …Sarah Hay, who is one of my favourite actresses, followed me on Instagram and Zac Posen, Sarah Jessica Parker, Lisa Sophie Bärmann, as well as my hero Margaret Zhang liked pics of mine. Thanks for all the heart attacks this year!
Conclusion: 2016 might not have been a promising year regarding politics, international relationships, war and all that, sadly, very relevant stuff – but it’s been my favourite year so far (of the nubbin of years I’m alive), personally. I have the feeling that 2017 will keep even more great things ready, on that note: Happy New Year!